When people ask me what I do for a living, I always respond, “I am a social worker.” Over the years, I could have responded, with many other answers — therapist, counselor, administrator. However, for all the roles I played, I always identified as a social worker.
My friends and family know that I always say becoming a social worker was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. By choosing social work in my 20s, I have been able to fulfill a passion for helping others and effect change, developing clinical skills that have assisted individuals in psychiatric distress, and now leading clinicians and using my social work skills in advocating and supporting the social work and clinical team in their roles.
When I could have gone into anything, the field of social work just felt right. I have tried to pinpoint how I knew I was a social worker. In my 17 years as a social worker, I have realized that there is a certain type of person who becomes a social worker. Social workers, in my past experience and certainly at Hosparus Health, embody certain positive qualities that can change the world.
- There is a “can do” spirit with social workers.
- There is a roll up your sleeves and get the job done attitude with social workers.
- There is an ability to wear multiple hats and still make a client feel like you have got it all together when maybe you are hanging on by a thread.
- There is empathy and a vulnerability to connect with clients that social workers have.
- There is an outspokenness to social workers.
- There is a passion for being heard and advocating for what is right and for their patients.
In four words, these are my people! I have asked the social workers at Hosparus Health to share what they believe makes a social worker a social worker, and this sums it up clearly. We are so lucky to have more than 30 social workers at Hosparus Health, and these words describe them better than I ever could.
For those who haven’t met me yet, my name is Amy Hill. I am the Executive Director of Psychosocial, Spiritual, and Counseling Services with Hosparus Health and I AM A SOCIAL WORKER.